IELTS Vocabulary (May-22)
In order to match the test format, get the best out of these useful expressions to enrich the lexical resource (vocabulary) for the IELTS speaking and writing tasks. Find here your handy vocabulary:-
- At Times
- Wither Away
Meaning – Sometimes; Occasionally
- The debate was highly emotional at times.
- At times she had an overwhelming desire to see him.
Meaning – A long search for something
- The quest was very costly and altogether fruitless.
- The left their country in quest for the gold treasure
Meaning – To make something stronger
- Remember, a well presented plan will reinforce the positive impression
- The major sent more troops to reinforce the fighting contingents
Meaning – Something that slows down progress, especially in business
- The traffic was bottled up in the bottleneck
- Shortage of staff has really caused the bottleneck
Meaning – Impact or effect of something
- The economic fall out of the current war may even grow further.
- The political fallout of the resent election defeat would be far greater than their expectation.
Meaning – To appear, to become known
- The Sun slowly emerged from the sea.
- After discussion with management, a new picture may emerge
Meaning – To become weaker then disappear
- They hoped that the storm would soon wither away
- After the fruiting, the plants wither away till the following season
Meaning – To make something weaker
- She tried to undermine the authority of his colleague by complaining to her boss.
- The current events in the country have undermined people confidence in the government machinery.
Meaning – Without any intention or knowledge
- She inadvertently left the letter on the table which was supposed to be kept in the drawer.
- He has inadvertently caused her a lot of problem
Meaning – To join in some activity
- They invited us to partake of their simple meal.
- She was happy to partake in the activities
Meaning – At an earlier time than something.
- If you have a plan to visit us, please call us beforehand to make sure we are in.
- He warned me beforehand what to expect.
Meaning – The weather when there is fog, something that is not very clear
- Foggy mountains are extremely attractive
- This is a foggy idea.
Meaning – To bring something off the track
- They are trying to derail the ongoing diplomatic meeting
- These events would derail the peace process
Meaning – Impatient, Restless
- After waiting so long, the kids started getting antsy
- Sitting around and waiting makes me antsy
Meaning – Able to see the future events
- She seems to possess clairvoyant abilities
- If he were clairvoyant, he could win the lottery easily.