Unquestionably, the Canadian education system is world-class and known for its unbeaten quality and skill-oriented courses. Alberta is one of the provinces which have earned a special position because of its people-oriented government policies. And, persistent drive to offer the best experience in the field of education. As a result, these facts offer compelling reasons to study in Alberta as international students. Let’s find out some salient reasons that make Alberta a mesmerizing destination. Specially for study abroad aspirants and answer, why studying in Alberta can be beneficial for them.
1. Proud and unparalleled history of higher education
The history of Alberta education goes back to early 1881. When, the education responsibilities were born by church clergy and missionaries. The hamlets of Edmonton and Calgary become the heart of the new era of the educational institution. Consequently, with the name of the University of Calgary and the University of Alberta. These are the top-ranked educational institution in the world and lead in various research-based projects.
Indeed, there are 12 universities in this province out of which 7 are public. Alongside universities, Alberta is also home to some of the top colleges and vocational institutes. And, they are famous for their unbeaten education quality. The colleges like Bow valley, Grand Prairie, Red deer and Medicine Hat are notable for professional training and experience and make study in Alberta a memorable experience.
2. Robust economy and industrial infrastructure
It sounds unbelievable that the economy of Alberta in terms of per capita GDP is bigger than some of the European countries like Switzerland and Norway. In this province per capita income is the highest among all Canadian provinces. Alberta sits on one of the largest reserves of petroleum and natural gas. And, as a result it attracts lots of big investments from all around the globe. Additionally, Alberta is also rich in agriculture and allied industries. As per the numbers are concerned, this province produces half of Canada’s beef consumption. Besides, it also excels in the mining, pulp and paper industries which create a lot of growth opportunities for people. Therefore, Study in Alberta leads to lucrative employment possibilities.
3. Heart of creativity and extensive research
The education minister of Alberta emphasizes more in the field of research and creativity activities. It is like science and technology, health, environment, energy and biotech. To encourage innovation and research culture the government has launched several initiatives to attract more international students. Through these government initiatives funds are offered to researchers companies who devote themselves to the development of new improved products, new services, policies and new advanced technology.
4. Sufficient number of the part-time job
All international students usually prefer to work during their study program to support their studies and gain work experience. Here too international students would get to work for only 20 hours per week during the study period. And, 40 hours per week during vacations.
There seems to be no dearth of jobs when you study in Alberta. The uniqueness about study in Alberta is the availability of numerous job opportunities. That, will make the life of a student easy. The simple part-time jobs which are readily available are teachers assistant, library assistant, babysitter, dog walker, freelancer, barista etc. The sector with the highest number of openings are retail sector, food service supervisor, computer programmer, information system analyst, licensed nurse, building installer and many more.
5. Affordable accommodation and transportation facilities
The nightmare of almost every international student is to face unpredictable circumstances. That may be related to housing once they land in an unknown territory without the supervision of their parents. But in reality, they do not need to worry about their accommodation plans as universities and colleges offer complete and genuine help to all international students who chose to study in Alberta. So you would be glad to hear that there are ample options for accommodation that may fit in your budget /pocket and taste
Those options are—
- On-campus residence college/university dorms
- The off-campus residence is easily available in the vicinity of your colleges and universities
- So there are several websites that offer rental services and assistance in providing the list of properties that are on rent.
Alberta is popular for its spectacular landscape and you will excite you with its natural beauty and wonderful experience. So, there are several options which include Air travel, light rail transit, public buses and even rental cars. Major cities of Alberta, Edmonton and Calgary have an international airport and they are well connected to European, Asian and US cities. Additionally, Alberta’s other cities such as Medicine Hat, Lethbridge and Red deer all have well developed local transport systems that keep cities moving and linked.
6. Easy and flexible PR rules
Alberta is also prominent for its PR rules and their flexibility certainly, the federal and the Alberta provincial government encourages immigration through their AINP (Alberta immigration Nomination program) in which skilled worker who has studied and worked in Alberta get priority.
Which skilled workers who have studied and worked in Alberta get priority?
As per the official website- https://www.alberta.ca/ainp-alberta-opportunity-stream-eligibility.aspx following rules are to be considered.
“Residency, work permit requirements
At the time your application is submitted, and at the time the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) assesses your application, you must have a valid temporary resident status in Canada that authorizes you to work in Canada, that is, a temporary foreign worker permit.
At the time you submit your application, and at the time the AINP assesses your application, you must have a valid work permit – not status maintained during processing (formerly implied status) or restoration status.
Valid work permits are based on one of the following:
- a positive Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)
- an LMIA exemption for workers based on one of the following exemptions as determined by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC):
- international trade agreements
- workers transferred within a company
- International Experience Canada
- Mobilité Francophone
- an open work permit issued by IRCC to:
- vulnerable workers who have demonstrated they are experiencing abuse or are at risk of abuse in the context of their employment in Canada, including under the Vulnerable Workers Open Work Permit (VWOWP) exemption, or
- the family members of a vulnerable worker under the VWOWP exemption
- A Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) held by a graduate of an Alberta Advanced Education public-funded post-secondary education institution.
- PGWP holders must also meet specific occupation, education and work experience requirements as set out below.
- An open work permit issued under IRCC’s Openwork permit public policy for the holders of PGWP held by a graduate of Alberta Advanced Education public-funded post-secondary education institutions.
- Holders of this open work permit must also meet the same specific occupation, education and work experience requirements as PGWP holders as set out below
At the time your application is submitted, and at the time the AINP assesses your application, you must work in an eligible occupation in Alberta. Occupation requirements also apply to your work experience and a job offer.
You must review the work experience criteria and eligible job offer criteria sections below for details.
The occupation you are working in at the time your application is submitted is your ‘current occupation’.
Most occupations under National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill levels 0, A, B, C and D are eligible under the AINP.”
7. Safe and secure for the international students who Study in Alberta
This Canadian province not only ensure world-class education and offer quality service but also provide safe and secure environment for all overseas student. Alberta’s moderate and comprehensive communities offer a prosperous atmosphere for all those who have chosen this province as their study destination. Why foreign student feel secure and safe even in the late hours all because
- People of this province believe and practice the culture of harmony
- The discrimination based on gender, colour, country and faith is almost absent
- People over here are gentle and supportive in their behaviour and always show their willingness to help.
- Last but not least, every year over thousands of students from all around the world come to Alberta for the flourishing educational system.
8. Supportive agencies and network for the international Students
There are numerous issues that juggle in the mind of all international students which are how to find affordable accommodation, how to open an account in a Canadian bank, how to get a job while studying, how to apply for PR status and many more. All of these disturbing issues are well addressed by various supportive agencies operating in Alberta. The Universities and colleges support all the overseas students through their well-designed system which consist of: Leadership team, the Office of Associate Vice-Provost, Director International Students, and Director International relations.
Besides, the provincial government has a very flexible immigration plan for those foreign students who wish to stay in Alberta and are willing to contribute to its economic progress. And, for this, there are numerous agencies to guide and assist the aspirants.
9. Diverse culture and hospitable people
In terms of hospitality and festivals, Alberta is the richest in the terms of culture. For international student, it is an opportunity to immerse themselves in learning of the diverse culture and tradition from more than 180 countries. . It not only helps them in broadening their perspectives but also make them ready to work comfortably in the workplaces of cultural diversity. Alberta also offers a once in the lifetime kind of opportunity to the international students to explore the festivals and gala events that are held in its major cities. These carnivals and events attract thousands of tourists from Europe and Latin America.
10. Affordable Health care Facilities
This is also, one of the compelling reasons to choose Alberta as your study abroad destination. To study in Alberta also offers you some exiting benefits.We all know that buying health insurance in Canada is not only compulsory but it also cost a lot. As a result, sometimes overseas students have to face unwanted hardships. This is why Alberta province has a unique health insurance plan with the name AHCIP which can be bought at an affordable cost. But, for being eligible for AHCIP and international students need to apply within 3 months of their arrival and their valid study permit is for at least 12 relieves overseas students from tension related to the cost of hospitalization and visit to the doctors. Here, it is also needed to understand what is not covered in this regional health insurance plan.