How to settle down in Canada as an International Student from India


For the international students who want to enrich themselves by availing the benefit of post study working experience in the host country and eventually plan to settle down there as a permanent resident, no country or destination may be more suitable than Canada Itself. As for as the Indian students are concerned, the research data reveals that Canada has become the most popular destination for higher study by replacing the USA, which is now shifted to second place.

The preference of the Indian students for Canada is also evident from the IRCC figures that show Indian Students constitute about 35% of the total enrolled International students which are followed by Chinese students with 25%.

The choice of Canada as the most preferred destination can also be understood by the survey report of Canadian Bureau for International Education (CIBE) that 96% of the overseas students chose Canada for the destination of their Higher Study because of high quality of education, highly tolerant & helpful society and safe ambience for the international students.


Unlike, other overseas education destinations, where international students are forced to leave the country, Canada, with its pro-active immigration friendly policies, assists International students to gain much needed post study work experience and let them assimilate into Canadian culture through the provision of permanent residency.

In order to encourage the equal spread of international students in all its’ provinces, Canadian government has come up with a plan named “ International Education Strategy for the period of 2019-2024” with a mission to diversify inbound international students to all the provinces of the country. It would lead to more intakes and attractive fee structure to suite the overseas students. In the near future, we may expect a sharp rise in the number of Canada Bound students.

An overseas aspirant has to overcome a number of challenges on his long yet fruitful journey from being a new under graduate student to getting the permanent residency in Canada. This article will give you step by step broad guidance to help you achieve your most cherished dream.

1- Selection of post graduate eligible Study Permit and Institution:

During the planning phase, a student has to see if the course and college he is applying to is PGWP eligible. There are some courses which are not eligible for getting PGWP. A student will not get work permit after completion of these programs which are:

  • Language courses of English and French as the second language.
  • Self improvement or general interest courses.
  • Any course or program from private college or institution which is not a DLI.

It should be bear in mind that the provincial governments in Canada grants DLI tag to institutions to take admission of International Students. Only international students of these DLI with permission for PGWP can apply for PGWP on completion of the study program. It is therefore imperative for the students to confirm that the college they have applied is a designated learning center.

The DLI number can be obtained by typing College name and DLI in search bar of Google or from the website . So if a student has a plan to stay in Canada after completion of his study, he needs to select a college a course that is PGWP eligible.

2- Choosing your place to live:

The next big task a student face is the selection of the city where he has to complete study. Although, most of the cities in Canada have the infrastructure that is well compared to that of any leading city of the world, yet from the future prospects and job requirement an international student need to do thorough research about the university ranking, city life, transportation facilities and job availability during study period.

As per the QS ranking list, here is a list of five cities of Canada that are the most preferred locations of international students. The living expenses in these cities are comparatively high but it can be off-set by the high average salary and the availability of very good job opportunities. These centers provide much needed exposure to the cultural diversity and to the working environment,


3-Shopping your groceries:

An average monthly bill of a single student comes somewhere between CAD 800-CAD 900. There is an abundance of grocery stores in Canada. And, some of the most popular ones are No Frill, Costco, Wal-Mart, Sobeys and Loblaw. It’s difficult to decide that which of these is the cheapest one, as they keep on adjusting and changing their price strategy to beat the completion. Besides, they also use membership card program to bring significant change in the price of the products they offer.

As far as Indian Students are concern, their obvious choice has been Costco for the reasons such as frequent coupon schemes. Store card reward program and regular cash back offers. This store is also popular among those who have to go for bulk buying. A family of 4 or a group of 4 students can save a substantial amount on their grocery bill by keeping an eye on cash back offers. The use of credit card may also fetch them a cash return up to 8.75% of their grocery bill.

4-Getting the SIN (Social Insurance No) and Work Permit

Soon after coming to Canada, students generally started making plan for the work permit during study. As an international student, a student can apply for the work permit through which he is permitted to up to 20 hours per week during semesters and 40 hrs per week during holidays break.

A student is allowed to work during studying in Canada only if his study permit carries the condition that a student can work on and off campus. But the first requirement is applying for Social Insurance number which is also called SIN. This number is mandatory for getting any job in Canada. It will be the first requirement for getting a bank account open, for getting a part-time or full time job and for filing tax return.

SIN number will be of use if you apply some benefit at CRB (Canada Recovery Benefit). It is highly recommended not to share your SIN with anyone other than those where its disclosure is a legal requirement.


5-Getting Post-graduate Work permit(PGWP)

Those students who want to stay in Canada after completion of their education program, for work experience, can apply for PGWP only if their education institute is designated learning institute (DLI) and the courses it offers are eligible for it.( Please follow the link to check the DLI and course status for PGWP).

One has to apply for the PGWP within 180 days of getting the final marks. The duration of the PGWP depends upon the duration of the course a student has chosen. For less than 8 month courses no PGWP is given. For the courses that have duration from 9 month to 2 years – the PGWP can be given for the period of duration of study program. And if the study program is for 2 or more year, three full years PGWP is given. So, the duration of PGWP is directly related to the duration of the study program.

6-Work Experience and Applying for Permanent Residency

Once a student is passed out and has post graduate work permit (PGWP) in hand, make sure to land in a skilled job that has either NOC (National Occupation code) code O, A or B and be ready to applying for PR soon after completion of one year of Job under Canadian Experience Class.

A letter from the current employer stating the job and responsibilities regarding that job will be a must document. Also ensure to pass the Canadian English proficiency test- CELPIP, with good marks as more marks will give you more points in CRS Score. One a candidate’s score is within the threshold limit, ITA will be issued to him which will pave the way for the permanent residency.

To know more about study abroad, study visa, study in Canada or IELTS preparation visit We have an experience of more than ten years in the field of study abroad and visa consultancy.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Close ×

Enquiry Form