Know These Terms While Going to Study in Australia as an International Student


For International Students, Australia offers great education opportunity both in terms of quality as well as employment possibility. As a result, more and more international students have been choosing to study in Australia and, making their study abroad destination.

While planning to study in Australia an aspirant has to come across a number of acronyms and terms that he or she is unfamiliar heretofore. Here you would get an insight into the meaning of these terms. And, after going through this piece of writing you would be developing a fair understating of these terms.

Useful Terms while planning to Study in Australia:

ESOS ACT (Education Services for Overseas Students Act) :


Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 is an act through which Australian Government protect and looks after the interests of overseas students. It is mandatory for the education institutes to register before they offer their services to international students. The act put certain obligations on the registered providers regarding compliance.

Further, the act empowers the overseas students and protects their financials and periphery interests while studying in Australia. Hence, ESOS legislation makes sure training providers meet nationally consistent standards in education delivery. And, in facilities and services, providing tuition fee protection for international students.

CRICOS (Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students):

The Department of Education, Skills and Employment in Australia is responsible for the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS). Only education institutions registered under the ESOS Act and listed on CRICOS can enroll overseas students to study in Australia on a student visa. Certainly, it protects and enhances Australia’s reputation for quality education, provides tuition protection and supports the integrity of the student visa program.

Subclass 500 Visa:


This class of visa is issued to overseas students and is temporary in nature. The maximum stay in this class of visa is only up to five years, yet your stay in Australia would depend upon the duration of your chosen course. Moreover, this visa has a provision that allow an international student to work during the study for 40 hours in two weeks.

As per the Australian Law, the eligibility for Subclass 500 visa is as follows:

  • Must have confirmation of enrollment (CoE) in a course, registered from CRICOS
  • Valid Score card in language of proficiency in English
  • Proof of fund to show you can manage your expenses in Australia.
  • Health Insurance for the self and spouse and dependent kids if they are also accompanying you

OSHC (Overseas Students Health Cover):

Also called “Overseas Students Health Cover” is a mandatory requirement if you are applying for temporary study visa ( Subclass 500) for Australia. This insurance cover helps you avail the medical and hospital services during your stay in Australia.

Therefore, International students undertaking formal studies in Australia, and their dependents (spouse and children under 18 years old), must obtain OSHC. It includes cover for visits to the doctor, some hospital treatment, ambulance cover and limited pharmaceuticals (medicines).

GTE (Genuine Temporary Entrant) :

It is Genuine Temporary Entrant. This is the most important document while filing your student visa. This personal statement carries the information about you, your plan to student in Australia, your future plan and most importantly the reasons behind studying in Australia.

As a result, this document must cover your circumstance in your home country, which includes your personal introduction, your family, business and education. Next, it should be tell the potential circumstances in Australia that talks about any relative, any job offer, and the course you have chosen.

So, when writing your GTE, remember, it should sound like a story and it should be in a simple sentence. As the GTE is a very personal statement, always add your own experience and circumstances.

AQF (Australian Qualifications Framework):


Also known as The Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF).It specifies the standards for educational qualifications in Australia. In fact, It is administered nationally by the Australian Government’s Department of Industry, with oversight from the States and Territories.

This is made possible through the Standing Council of Tertiary Education Skills and Employment. While the AQF specifies the standards, education and training organizations are authorized by accrediting authorities to issue a qualification

The qualification range is from 1 to 10. It covers all type of certificates that include diploma, graduate diploma, associate degree, bachelor degree and even master degree.

VET (Vocational Education and training):

VET courses are typically short, practical in nature and delivered by a TAFE college or registered training organization at Certificate to diploma level.

Thus, in Australia, vocational education and training (VET) is study that offers you the opportunity to learn specific and practical job skills. It’s the perfect route for international students who are looking for a quicker path into the workforce and a focus on real-world and industry-based skills.

There are umpteen benefits to study VET as it offers

  • Hands-on experience in industry-standard training facilities.
  • An alternative pathway into university through partnerships or credit transfers.
  • Earlier entry into the workforce, as VET qualifications often take less time to complete than a university degree.
  • City and regional education – there is flexibility in where you can study across the country.

TAFE (Technical and Further Education) :

TAFE expands into Technical and Further Education. In fact TAFE colleges are located throughout Western Australia and are owned and operated by the Western Australian Government. A student can study a TAFE qualification such as a Certificate, Diploma and/or Advanced Diploma.

As, these courses are skilled based they offer a good employment opportunity once you complete it. These are the short pathways to enter work force. Moreover, these courses are offer following benefits:

You would be learning the skills that are in demand and in aligned to industry.

Benefit of learning through latest technology and machines

It is flexible and cost effective pathway So far we have discussed the terms and acronyms that you should be familiar with as an overseas education aspirant. If you are planning to study in Australia, get the best guidance and support to know what course and University would be more suitable for you. At Cosmo Consultants, our team of counselors provides most suitable guidance to fit into your study in Australia dream

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Close ×

Enquiry Form