Not just once, but time and again, Montreal has been chosen as the best city for the international student. Yes, Montreal is the largest and most developed city of the Canadian Province Quebec. No doubt, Quebec is famous for its student friendly environment, the presence of large number of business houses, companies and amazing work culture. Hence, you need to have a fair idea of what PEQ and CSQ in Quebec are. As, it will help you in getting your Canada PR with an ease.
What is PEQ and CSQ in Quebec
Quebec is a bit unique as far as the PR and Education System is concerned. International students sometime get confused about their courses and how they would be able to apply for the federal and Quebec PR.
Here, you would get a detailed view of what PEQ and CSQ in Quebec. And, what are the Quebec PR rules for international Students. You will also learn what PEQ course are and how they will be helpful in Quebec Immigration.
What Is PEQ (Quebec Experience Program)?
Quebec provincial government encourages the international students who complete government approved post secondary courses from the Quebec Educational Institutions to live and work in Quebec. The same is for the skilled foreign workers who are also called temporary foreign workers.
Simply, the PEQ is the fast track system for the PR in Quebec for the two categories of people namely International students and Temporary foreign workers. Let’s see how international students would be eligible to apply for PEQ from within Quebec.
Québec Experience Program for International Students:
For Overseas students to be eligible, they must have studied in Quebec province full time and have completed one of the following types of diploma courses:
- Diploma of Vocational Studies (Diplôme d’Études Professionelles) (DEP/DVS)that involve 1 800 hours of study in Quebec;
- DVS followed by an Attestation of Vocational Specialization (Attestation de spécialisation professionnelle) (AVS) that leads to totaling 1 800 hours of study;
- Diploma of College Studies, technical training (Diplôme d’Études Collégiales technique)(DEC/DCS)
- Bachelor’s degree;
- Master’s degree (and MBA); or
- PhD (Doctorate’s)
Likewise, the diploma or degree must be from a university or by a public education institution located in Quebec only and recognized by the Quebec government. Additionally, the international student must have lived in this province for at least half the duration of their study program.
Work Experience requirement for PEQ:
Further, the student must have obtained the following work experience:
For the holders of a technical college diploma (DEC/DEP/DVS), a bachelor’s, a master’s or a doctorate:
- Full-time work experience of at least 12 months after the end of the study program in a job at NOC level 0, A or B.
- Should hold a full-time job at NOC level 0, A or B at the time of the application.
- Work experience gained through a full- or part-time internship as part of the course may be count only up to a maximum of three months.
Diploma of Vocational Studies:
For the holders of a Diploma of Vocational Studies, alone or with an Attestation of Vocational Specialization (AVS):
- Full-time work experience of at least 18 months after the end of the study program in a job at NOC level 0, A, B or C.
- Work experience at NOC level 0, A or B, does not have to be related to the study program.
- Hold a full-time job at NOC level 0, A, B or C at the time of the application.
- Work experience at NOC level C must be related to the diploma obtained in Quebec.
- Work experience acquired through a full- or part-time internship as part of the course may be recognized up to a maximum of three months.
French language knowledge requirement:
In addition, the international student must possess an intermediate-advanced knowledge of oral French. The student can prove his knowledge of French by one of the following:
- Completed one of the above programs in French;
- Satisfied the language requirements of a professional Order in Quebec.
- Passed a recognized French Test
- Studied in French on a full-time basis for at least three years in a secondary or post-secondary educational institution;
Then, students may submit their application for permanent selection under PEQ – Quebec Graduate stream, from within Quebec or from abroad, upon completion of their program of study.
Please bear in mind that, not all Quebec educational programs are eligible for PEQ. Hence, candidates submitting applications as international students should verify that their program of study meets the PEQ requirements.
Just note, the following types of programs are eligible for PEQ applications:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- A Master’s Degree
- Diplôme d’études collégiales techniques (DEC – diploma of college studies, technical training);
- A Diplôme d’études professionnelles (DEP – diploma of vocational studies) attesting to 1800 hours of study or more;
- Diplôme d’études professionnelles (DEP – diploma of vocational studies) followed by an attestation de spécialisation professionnelle (ASP – attestation of vocational specialization) attesting to a minimum of 1800 hours of continuing education and leading to a particular trade.
If international students meets above criteria, then, they may submit an application for a CSQ through PEQ at any time. Interestingly, there is no quota for this program and office accepts application throughout the year. Also, all PEQ applications are paper-based, meaning they are submitted in hard copy to MIFI for processing.
The target processing time:
Under the PEQ program, the selection decisions are strictly made solely from the information and documentary evidence. These are submitted through file, and, therefore, this is not a points-based program.
The target processing time for this program is six months.
Certificate de Selection du Quebec (CSQ) or Quebec Selection Certificate:
All those international students who find themselves eligible for PEQ can then apply for their CSQ that is Quebec Selection Certificate. Likewise, under PEQ program it is not point base and a deserving candidate will get his or her CSQ in due course of time. This is the first step out of two of getting Canada PR.
As the candidate receives his/her CSQ, they become eligible to apply for federal PR. In case of PEQ, the process is quite simple as the things to check would be police verification and medical checkup.
Cosmo Consultants is the best study aboard and study visa consultant firm of Northern India. We have been constantly guiding and helping overseas aspirants to accomplish their dreams, and have more than ten years of experience of offering professional service. To know more please visit our website www.cosmoconsultants.in or you may contact us on these numbers: 91-9876291190, +91-9792000004 .